Friday, July 1, 2011

Summer Parties


Something has gotten into my brother. The guy who used to sleep in on weekends and make a 12 pack disappear in minutes is now running a small organic farm and throwing beautiful parties with white catering tents, live music, hayrides, and a cooler station. Most women realize that this "something" is named Chris, the one wearing the purple cowgirl boots in the photo above.

These two have created something quite amazing at their place, and threw a "Kline Hoedown" to kindly share the likes of it with a couple hundred of their favorite folks. Derek and I left the kids with my mom and took off for an evening of fun.




We love the Gray family...so much so that Ella named her favorite doll after their daughter. They invited us to a family cookout over the fourth of July weekend. Fireworks, a big cooler, a busy grill, sprinklers and bubbles made for tons of fun for Derek and me, and two very happy, sleepy kids.




Lastly, Derek and I have made an effort to start doing some things that we used to do when it was just the two of us. Music was huge part of our life, our home, our gatherings, and our road trips.

Once Ella was born, I immersed myself in nursery rhymes and songs like Itsy Bitsy Spider. I finally shifted up to Disney soundtracks...big leap there. I nearly burst into tears of joy when Nick Jr. started playing animated shorts with Bob Marley songs.

Poor Carson has not been given the same luxury. When he rides in the car, he is either subjected to Ella's current preference (which usually involves "Baby You're a Firework" or some other top 40 pop hit) or my folksy chillout music.

Derek, on the other hand, has been eagerly waiting for my return now that the kids are out of toddler stage. BK (before kids), we spent many a weekend on blankets at live venues, where he and the guys would listen to great bands while my girlfriends, sisters and I twirled barefoot in the sun, like modern-day hippies in blonde braids and skirts. I decided this summer we'd see some shows, and we are doing just that. My most sincere gratitude goes to our parents, who have each offered us a few hours of freedom to be kids again.


No comments: