Friday, July 22, 2011

Red Hotz and Lollipops


A very good friend told me about a peforming arts camp called Red Hotz and Lollipops. She went on to tell me that it was started 20 years ago by a wealthy family in Oakwood with a passion for the arts. The program started with 16 participants, and the number of kids involved has grown exponentially each year since. Today there are hundreds.

We enrolled Ella, unsure of how it would go. She didn't know anyone else doing it, and it required some serious driving and logistical planning since it overlapped with Carson's nap, miles from our house each day while I was at work. (again...do you see a theme here? Thank God for the love and help of family!)

Ella came home every day, singing new lines to her team's medley of songs, and showing us moves that would rival what's happening this week on Glee. She practiced for me. For Derek. For Carson. For all her stuffed animals. There were shows offered every hour for anyone who wanted to watch.

Their performance was at the Victoria Theater, to a sold out crowd of 1600. Six of us were there for Ella. I asked her what she was the most excited about, and she said "probably everything about the singing and dancing, and seeing my family in the audience, but mostly because I get to wear blush."


They really did put on a wonderful show, and I have to give kudos to the directors - these women organized, motivated, and taught 200 kids in TWO WEEKS what most kids in dance or singing lessons practice for months to achieve.

Well, either that or we just have really talented kids. :)
(oh, shame! Do I sound like a stage mom or what?)


Ella, when you're 25 and reading this, you can look at all the awards on your mantle and be reminded of where it all started.

Bravo, my dear! Bravo!

1 comment:

Terri said...

Talented, beautiful, smart, loving & entertaining are the adjectives I would use to describe both my neice & nephew. So no, you're not a stage mom. You're just gifted with marvelous kids.