Sunday, June 14, 2009

Preparing for Baby Sands



Poor Ella. She has spent so much time waiting for me lately that she's resorted to some pretty creative endeavors. She turned a trip to Babies R Us into a hair salon as we debated how many carseat bases we actually have. Last week at home, while waiting for me to stop rearranging the baby's diapers and wipes, she used a few cotton balls and some scotch tape to turn us both into kitty cats. Gotta love a kid who can add patience to creativity and find fun anywhere.



We took Ella to a sibling class at Kettering Hospital, where she learned how to hold, feed, and swaddle the baby. All the kids sat on the floor while the teacher went through a variety of scenarios. Ella was silent for most of them, just learning and taking it all in. However, there was one that caught her interest. The conversation went like this:

Teacher: ok kids, who can tell me what you would do if mommy and daddy were asleep in their beds, and you were asleep in yours, but the baby was crying in this crib?

Ella: (hand shoots up) OH!! OH!!

Teacher: yes, Ella?

Ella: Well...I know that if I stack both my stepstools, I can get up high enough to climb into that crib. So I would do that, and get in there to grab my brother, then hold him tight and jump out. Then I'd take him to mommy and she would say, "Oh Ella! What a good helper!"

Oy.

1 comment:

nklfrtz said...

Hahaha...what a great story! I LOVE the reasoning behind her response though - she's a pretty smart cookie! Love you all tons - thanks so much for keeping this page updated - makes me feel a little less detached from home. Love you so much!!!