Friday, June 8, 2012

The only constant is...


Change. 

I thought I was adept at rolling with the punches, but what I had forgotten is that when I change something in my life, I don't change it a little. I change a whole group of things.

I wrote a post in March about leaving my near-decade run at Mead. I didn't say much about where I went. I'm in a completely new industry, working in a building that's almost a mile from end to end, with 1500 complete strangers. I drive 40 minutes each way, so I don't know the city and I can't run to Ella's school if she needs me. And I've returned to the practice of daily design work, which is a long stretch backward for a group of tools that I was not sure I'd remember how to use.

So when I learned about a 5k happening on the grounds at work, I thought...hmmm. This is something I never would have done in my "safe" life, so why not?

I designed the shirts. 
I walked/ran the race.
I got to know my work group better. 
I now know 40 of those 1500 people...and that's a start. 


 


"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore." 

- Andre Gide


1 comment:

CKron said...

Way to jump outta the comfort zone! I know I could use a taste of that now and then...