Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Leaving Mead

Ella, I told you one afternoon that I had just resigned from my position at Mead. I explained to you that I had been there for a long time, (even before you were born!) and that it was time for me to do something new.

I carefully detailed how a great new job had come along for me, and that it was a blessing perfectly matched to me and my values; I would be truly giving back, by Art Directing for a charity that would help those in need.

You stared sweetly back at me in silence, your bright blue eyes sizing me up to see if you should challenge or comfort me. After 30 seconds or so, you came out with the big question:

"But what about all those pretty notebooks you bring home for me?"

I explained that we could still go to Target and get you any notebook you liked, even the kind with Hello Kitty. The answer was just what you needed; you clapped, giggled and ran off to play.

I, on the other hand, had a terrible time saying goodbye to these people who had become my second family. Right in the midst of our own family's loss, this additional loss seemed insurmountable; although the decision to leave was mine, these were people that I truly loved.
It was only through their kind gestures, heartfelt cards and gifts, and goodbye parties that I realized how those feelings were reciprocal.



A girls night at the Wine Loft with my closest gals :)


My desk, right before I packed it up on the last day


One of many pics taken at my going away party, which started at 4pm and wrapped up around midnight...filled with dozens of great friends, hugs and hilarious stories; even the ones at my expense were great. You can laugh loudest and last at your own folly when you've got nothing to lose.

Someone asked me what I'll miss the most. At the time, I thought it would be the retail strategy, the trend travel or the product design. Now that I'm writing this a few weeks later, I can tell you it's the little things:


the quote board, or the conversational nuances that required no further explanation. I'll miss our passionate debates over the new emerald green vs. tangerine on a Target endcap. Or the hilarity of Tara's face when she returned from vacation to find her cube wallpapered in planner fill.


I'll miss our quick-witted Creative Director who walked the office in his sock feet. I'll miss the fact that I could simply make eye contact with my lead marketer and we'd both know exactly what to do next. I will miss the idea that 11 of us, in the midst of creating million-dollar product lines, found an afternoon to turn our office into a snow-capped holiday village.



I'm sure in time, these feelings will come again at the new job. Fingers crossed.

I keep chanting to myself: change is good. Change is good.
Cheers to a new adventure!

No comments: