Saturday, May 21, 2011

Lotta Creative

One of my very favorite artists is Sweden native Lotta Jansdotter. I have been watching her prints, her paper goods, her fabric and her books fly off the shelves at stores like West Elm and Anthropologie.

Fate had it that she would be holding a workshop in Brooklyn at the same time I would already be in New York for a trade show.

We headed to her studio loft and found her bicycle parked outside her door. The whole building smelled like turpentine and eraser bits. I knew immediately that this was a very good idea.


Inside her studio...that's Lotta, on the left:



She was a gracious host with plenty of nibbles and eclectic music streaming from a fabulous west coast radio program.

We received step-by-step instructions on three print methods: potato printing, blockprinting, and stenciling.



I made this blockprint with the intention of stamping it in white ink on the back of my red valentine envelopes next year. The four hearts stand for Derek, Carson, Ella and Me; the Moroccan shape represents peace.

I cut all my supplies in half so I could bring the same experience home to Ella! What a wonderful day of creating freely!

2 comments:

terri said...

Looks like great fun! What an experience

Bill Bailey said...

That's awesome!!